ATOM FEED RSS FEED about home |
![]() |
![]()
|
![]()
Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
|
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Well, I'll go over everybody that's in there. You have all 10 commission members, you have one member of the commission staff present. Then you have the President and Vice President; Judge Gonzales is there, and two staff members from the Counsel's Office are there as well.
QUESTION: Who are the staff members?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I'm not going to get into the names of the staff that's present.
QUESTION: Why?
QUESTION: Why?
QUESTION: Why?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Just, Judge Gonzales. They're lawyers on the White House Counsel staff. I know you all want to call them and talk to them afterwards, but I'll just say, two members of the White House Counsel staff.
QUESTION: No, that's not why, we just want their names.
QUESTION: For God's sake, this is a matter of historical record.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: It's a private meeting, Helen.
QUESTION: It's not a private meeting, it's a public meeting.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I just told you who is present.
QUESTION: It's doing the nation's business.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: These are two members of the Counsel's Office that have been working closely with the September 11th Commission.
QUESTION: Why the secrecy?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I don't look at it that way.
QUESTION: But we do.
QUESTION: It is a good question. It is an historic moment. This is -- in a public event.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I'll talk back with these individuals and see if -- but --
QUESTION: Just for the record, really, just for the record.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I'll talk back with these individuals, but I'm not in the habit of just going and naming every staff members that attend all these meetings.
QUESTION: But this isn't just another meeting.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I understand.
QUESTION: You're the spokesman for this White House, and you should give us the basics.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I'll check with those individuals, but I'm not going to get into naming staff members without their --
QUESTION: Why did the White House feel there was a need for three staff members --
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: -- without talking to them about it.
QUESTION: -- versus one for the commission of 10 members?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Well, you have 10 commission members there, too. So you have a lot of members of the commission. These are two staff members that have been very involved in working on these efforts.
QUESTION: What is their purpose, Scott? Are they there to record what takes place?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: No.
QUESTION: Are they there to advise the President --
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: No, I'm sure they'll be taking notes.
QUESTION: -- or Judge Gonzales --
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: No.
QUESTION: What is the purpose? What is their purpose?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Because they're two members of the Counsel's Office that have been very involved in working on these issues with the September 11th Commission. And they'll be there taking notes, just like a member of the commission staff will be there taking notes.
QUESTION: So they're actually there more to record what happens.
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Well, take notes, yes.
QUESTION: Are there two note takers?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Yes, I expect both of them will be taking notes. I expect members of the commission will be writing information down, as well.
QUESTION: You said there was one note taker. Is there an official note taker or are these both --
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: I said there would be at least one member yesterday, and then yesterday afternoon when I was updated, I said that there would be two members of the Counsel's Office present.
QUESTION: Who are they?
SCOTT MCCLELLAN: Helen, I'll check with them. And I don't want to go and just name them without talking to them first.