Tuesday, February 24, 2004
THE LADY OR THE TIGER
So I'm watching C-SPAN, and they have on Linda Lingle, the Republican governor of Hawaii. She just said how she doesn't agree with the president on "a few things," but that he was done "a wonderful job of leading our nation through a very difficult time."
"A wonderful job."
And she didn't choke, or going into a seizure or anything. But her smile was rigid, and it didn't reach her eyes.
I thought to myself, "These Republicans are scared shitless." How could they
not be? They know Bush's numbers are in freefall, and they have to be wondering what the opposite of coattails feels like.
So she spins, and spins, and spins. She says how wonderful it is to have a president who FOR THE FIRST TIME says getting a college education shouldn't be something reserved for the children of the rich. She says "No Child Left Behind" is changing that.
She is, frankly, a bit of a moron.
So it doesn't surprise me even a little to find out that she has a journalism degree and started her own paper right after J-school. (Figures.) By the way, like a certain other Republican governor, she is
rumored to play on the same-sex team.
Now, I honestly don't care who does what to who when they're naked. But I do mind when some people whose personal lives are just like those of the demonized opposition permit themselves to be used as "compassionate cover." If that's true of this woman - and of course, I don't know if it is - she should be ashamed of herself - for being ashamed of herself.
I hope she's not gay. I'd rather the Straight White Republicans kept her.
|
|