Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

suburbanguerrilla@verizon.net
ATOM FEED
RSS FEED
about
home

ARCHIVES

AIR AMERICA LIVE FEED

WXPN-FM

WHOLEWHEAT RADIO

EAGLE FM ONLINE

BEATLES-A-RAMA

MY WISH LIST

A Sponsor of Cover The Uninsured Week

Support This Site

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Blogarama

www.blogwise.com Suburban Guerrilla

[Powered by Blogger]

Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site! Listed on BlogShares

Wednesday, February 25, 2004


'AND THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE'
Patti Davis (Ronald Reagan's daughter) on love and gay marriage:
Whenever I hear about the furor over gay marriage, and whenever I step back and look at how tentative and wary we are about love (I’m including myself in that one) I wonder the same thing: What is it about love that frightens us so much? In the personal arena, the easy answer is, I suppose, loss. We wonder if we can survive the deep bruises to our hearts if our partner gets ill, or dies, or leaves. Solitude might be safer. Yet we see people surviving loss so we know it’s possible; the heart is a sturdy little muscle.

The harder question is: What is frightening about a same-sex couple standing forth in front of the world and making their commitment to one another public? Is the happiness of others really so threatening? Maybe the bravery is what’s threatening. I don’t know if I could stand up to society’s wrath in the name of love. I hope I could, but as a straight woman, I’ll never be tested on that one.

A woman I know sat at the bedside of a man dying from AIDS. He told her he didn’t think he’d accomplished much in his young life, and now he was dying. She said, “Did you love?” And he replied, “Oh, yes. I have loved deeply with all my heart.”

“Then you accomplished everything,” she said.

| |